Have your Say!
TAC and RuDASA Eastern Cape Health Consultations
16 May 2013: 9 for 10am to 1pm: Mthatha Town Hall,
Leeds Rd (between Owen & York) – Hosted by the District AIDS Council
18 May 2013: 9 for 10am to 1pm: East London, Turnbull Park Club, 48 Paterson Street
The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) and the Rural Doctors Association of Southern Africa (RuDASA), in partnership with the Rural Health Advocacy Project (RHAP), SECTION27 and the Budget Expenditure Monitoring Forum (BEMF), would like to invite you to a consultation to discuss the crisis of health systems in the Eastern Cape Health.
Over the last few years we have witnessed the deterioration of health care service delivery in the province. We have seen:
· Staff shortages at facilities across the province, which was made worse by the moratorium on new appointments in 2012;
· Ongoing drug stock-outs, and the near collapse of the Mthatha Medicines Depot;
· The absence of basic medical equipment and machinery, including hospital generators and x-ray machines; and
· Deteriorating clinic and hospital infrastructure.
The failure of the public health system to deliver good quality services is a violation of the Constitution. We are aware of the many problems with mismanagement, a shortage of basic resources, and corruption. We are aware of the ongoing difficulties in implementing real solutions to these problems. What we would like to know more about is how all of this affects you.
The purpose of this consultation is to hear about your experiences in accessing or providing services in this system. We believe that it is important that the users of the public health system and the health care workers who provide these services are provided with an opportunity to let their voices be heard. We want to know what you believe are the causes of these problems, what they mean for service delivery and what you think needs to happen to fix these. We want to hear your story.
After the consultations we will try and find ways to engage with the government provincially and nationally to develop a plan to urgently fix the health crisis in the Eastern Cape.
There will be two consultations taking place in the Eastern Cape. The first will take place in Mthatha, Town Hall, on 16 May 2013. The second will take place in East London, Turnbull Park Club, 48 Paterson Street, on 18 May 2013.
Both meetings start at 9 for 10am and will finish at lunchtime.
If you would like to attend, please let us know as soon as possible. Our contact details are:
1. For healthcare users, please contact Noloyiso Ntamenthlo on 083 487 1814 or Portia Ngcaba on 082 968 5306
2. For healthcare workers, please contact Monique Warden on (011) 356-4108, 079 089 2099 (sms) or firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to meeting with you and hearing about your experiences!