TAC Khayelitsha participated in 4 events as our contribution towards the 67minutes on Mandela Day.
- Free Gender, Sonke Gender Justice , Treatment Action Campaign and Triangle Project Media Conference: 1pm - Treatment Action Campaign boardroom Site B Khayelitsha
Over the past few weeks South African townships have suffered a series of killings in the LGBTI community.
- In Kuruman Northern Cape, Thapelo Makutle 23yrs gay man was brutally killed and murdered
- Phumeza Nkolonzi, 22yrs old lesbian was shot dead inside her home 3 times in front of her grand mother in Mau mau Nyanga Cape town.
- Andrita Morifi a young lesbian woman in Limpopo was brutally killed.
- Neil Daniels transgender murdered in Cape Town.
- Sanna Supa a lesbian woman shot dead in her home in Soweto
We demanded that the Mayor and the Premiere in our Province condemn these homophobic violence publicly. The call for action was for civil society organisations to join us on Mandela's Birthday, 18 July, to give 67 minutes to civic action against hate-crimes.
- Illitha Park Orphanage
A team of Taccies went to the the Illitha Park orphanage that have a number of children with different kinds of disabilities, including HIV positive orphans. We took some groceries and toys, cleaned the place and cooked and most importantly played with the children. The owner of the orphanage did not have enough words to thank TAC for what they did.
- Harare Orphanage
The second team of Taccies went to Harare orphanage that had a variety of children that they were looking after between the ages of 3 months to 16 years old and amongst them were AIDS orphans. Like the other TAC group we brought groceries, cleaned up, inside and outside the house, washed the clothes of children, played with the children and cooked for the orphanage.
How will TAC support these orphanages beyond Madiba Day? We will make sure that Mike (TAC social security) do interviews (needs assessment) with the ladies in charge of the orphanages , assist them in getting the appropriate documentation and support because currently they do not get any assistance.
- TAC also participated in the Uxolo High school (Makhaya) - Madiba day event. We had an information table and had a young HIV positive speaker.