On 23 March 2012 Khayelitsha sub-district received an award through the City of Cape Town Health for distributing more condoms than ever before - 14 million male condoms in 2011, equivalent to 103 condoms per male 15 years and older, per year. For 2012 the TAC Khayelitsha district target has a goal of distributing 1 million condoms per month. The district also received the cup for the ARV programme. Distribution of sexual health materials and information is also a relevant part of TAC's campaign. In December 2011 and January 2012, over 2000 educational materials accompanied condom distributions.
What TAC wants to achieve with the condom distribution programme:
• Decrease in the HIV prevalence in the district
• Decrease in the STI infection rate
• Promote on-going education and raise awareness about condoms and prevention in the district
• Break the stigma surrounding condoms
Challenges to the programme:
• Female condom shortages remain a problem
• Condom shortages over the festive season made it very difficult for the condom distribution to take place
Currently the district strategy on condom distribution is still relevant. The district will continue to evaluate and assess whether we need to change what we do and how we do it. Evaluation takes place every quarter and during the mid-term review process.