Today the future of the Treatment Action Campaign is at threat. Donor priorities have changed and funding for AIDS is rapidly diminishing. While at the same time we are all seeing huge new challenges that face the response to HIV with medicine stockouts, weakening health systems, growing evidence of poor adherence, and the spread of multi drug resistant-TB.
Since it was founded on Human Rights Day in December 1998, the TAC has:
- Helped drive down the price of antiretroviral drugs to affordable levels;
- Won a Constitutional Court case that opened the door to a nationwide programme to prevent mother-to-child-transmission of HIV; MTCT is now at less than 3%.
- Broken the resistance of official AIDS denialism and brokered the first serious national strategic plan on HIV and TB;
- Mobilised communities continually to promote take-up of antiretroviral treatment and monitored the roll-out meticulously, pointing out every problem, stock-out and shortage;
- Helped to set up organisations like the Joint Civil Society Monitoring Forum, the Budget and Expenditure Monitoring Forum, and now the Stop Stockouts Project; and
- Exposed the collapse of provincial health systems in the Eastern Cape and Free State and created pressure to fix them.
With our 8000 volunteers located across the country, often in the poorest and most disadvantaged areas, the TAC is the eyes and ears of the ARV programme. Through our national and international visibility we are the only organisation with a voice loud enough to keep the AIDS programme on track. If we are forced to close or further scale back our operations then before long the response to HIV in South Africa will return to the unacceptable level of many other responses to diseases of the poor. This is unacceptable.
At the time of writing we have only secured a fraction of our 2015 budget. Ideally, we would have ZAR 40 million (USD 4 million) per year secured for the next five years. This would allow us to focus on ensuring everyone in South Africa has access to the healthcare services they need.
Please help us to keep these campaigns alive.
Donate to the TAC today! Amandla!
*You can donate either online or by making a direct bank transfer to:
Name: Treatment Action Campaign
Branch code: 198765
Kindly quote your name as reference. If you donate directly we won't be able to write to say thank you. Why not drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can keep in touch!
*For tax exempt US donations please donate via the South African Development Fund website. Don't forget to select TAC in the "I want my donation to be designated towards" option!
Siyabonga. Enkosi. Dankie. Thank you!