You are on the TAC legacy website. Please visit our new website:

Nandipha Makeke case resumes in Khayelitsha Magistrates Court on 5 March

  • strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /usr/www/users/tacaor/public_site/community/sites/all/modules/views/views.module on line 879.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::init() should be compatible with views_handler::init(&$view, $options) in /usr/www/users/tacaor/public_site/community/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/ on line 745.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /usr/www/users/tacaor/public_site/community/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/ on line 589.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /usr/www/users/tacaor/public_site/community/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/ on line 589.
Printer-friendly versionSend to friendPDF version

TAC mobilisation against gender-based violence continues


On Tuesday 26 February 2008 approximately 60 TAC members gathered outside the Khayelitsha Magistrates Court yet again to lend support to the family of Nandpiha Makeke (a TAC activist who was murdered and raped on 16 December 2005) and to protest against gender based violence. The case has been repeatedly heard and postponed since 2005 leading to over 20 court appearances on different dates, spanning over two years. Evidence was finally heard with two positive outcomes.

Accused number one gave a confession shortly after the original assault which he has since attempted to withdraw. The presiding judge dismissed his alternative account and judged the confession to be “fairly given, without coercion, and fully admissible.” Secondly, the DNA evidence taken from semen at the scene was not contested and judged admissible. Due to the failure of one of the defence lawyers to read a relevant  submission the case was postponed again until 5 March 2008. TAC activists will once again gather inside and outside the Khayelitsha Magistrates Court to ensure justice is done.



Update on Nandipha Makeke case as of 18 March 2008

On Monday 17 March, two of the four accused (numbers 2 and 4) were acquitted due to lack of evidence. Apparently they remain in custody because they are accused of other crimes, but I do not have definite confirmation of this.

On 18 March, while one of the remaining accused was being cross-examined, there was a power failure in Khayelitsha and the case was adjourned until 31 March.


hrlrhmxn quddinbz hogguceg xjksqnfc [URL=]zwnzgrua[/URL]