The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) engages in monitoring, advocacy and campaigning within the health system to ensure that every person with HIV has access to quality comprehensive prevention, treatment, care and support services to live a healthy life. We are looking for people who share our mission and our commitment to professionalism, innovation, impact and collaboration.
TAC seeks to employ an energetic, pro-active individual with a passion for social justice to lead the organisation’s Human Resources team. The position is based in Cape Town, but will require regular travel to Johannesburg and some travel to other parts of the country.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the leadership of the National Manager, the HR Manager will coordinate the overall operations of HR Unit in order to provide pro-active, results-oriented HR service to the organization. The HR Operations Manager will contribute to the development of new, and improvement of existing, HR policies, systems and practices. The HR Operations Manager is expected to:
- Assist the General Secretary and National Manager in developing, reviewing and updating the HR Strategy and the HR Management policies, systems and practices that:
- Fully support the implementation of the TAC’s strategic objectives;
- Reflect global best practices in human resources management including best practice in gender and diversity; and
- Are in line with the ethical standard and legal requirements.
- In coordination with the other HR professionals, assists the General Secretary and National Manager in the planning, development, and management of the human resources functions which include:
- HR Strategy, design and implementation: contribute to the evaluation of the TAC’s current practices and provide advice on the impact of programmes, initiatives and strategies that affect the attraction, motivation, development and retention of staff;
- Staffing and Contract Management:
- implement plans and programmes to both identify and develop talent within and outside the organization;
- contribute to Identifying appropriate and effective external sources for candidates, and implement appropriate arrangements agreed with partners relating to secondments;
- Coordinate the work of the HR Unit in the management of contracts of all staff, interns, partners and consultants, and ensure compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures and with the laws/regulations applicable to all of the TAC’s offices;
- Manage an effective orientation programme to welcome and integrate new employees into the organization culture; and
- Coordinate the work of the HR Unit in implementing decisions relating to staff movements: promotion, transfer and departure of staff including implementing an exit interview programme to obtain inputs/feedbacks concerning the organization’s operations, management and programs.
- Staff Development and Education: lead on assessing staff members’ strengths and development needs and further develop and implement the organisations internal staff development and learning strategy.
- HR Information Systems: enhance and/or develop and implement the HR Information Systems to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization. In particular, focusing on the TAC’s performance management systems.
- Carry out other relevant task/project as required by, and mutually agreed with, the General Secretary and National Manager.
Management and strategy:
- To line manage one HR and payroll officer, one Skills Development Officer, one Senior Receptionist/administrator, one housekeeper. To countersign for one National Trainer working to the skills development officer. As part of this, ensure the successful running of HR operations across the organisation, including accurate, relevant, and impact based reporting of HR issues.
- To be responsible, alongside TAC’s leadership for the conception, development and implementation of future performance management and skills development strategies.
- To report on all HR activities to the TAC leadership at National Councils, and provide regular updates.
- To build strong relationships with the TAC leaders, staff (both provincially and nationally), to ensure a broad understanding of the role of TAC to better inform our HR policies and procedures.
Education, experience and technical skills:
- Degree/Diploma in HR Management, business administration, nonprofit management, or equivalent experience or related studies and at least five years experience in any two specialized fields of HR management, such as recruitment, contracts management, compensation and benefits administration, policy formulation, HR information systems development;
- Extensive human resources knowledge, with experience in change management;
- Demonstrated track record in implementing and enhancing human resources policies, systems and practices, and in finding creative solutions to human resources issues;
- Familiarity with recent trends and awareness of technological advancements relating to HR information systems development;
- Prior experience serving as a member of management team;
- Ability to manage budgets and produce financial reports;
- Ability to work in fast paced organisation committed to delivering high impact and high quality work;
- Fluency in at least one South African language other than English.
Personal competencies and attributes:
- Strategic vision and demonstrated ability for planning and execution;
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people at all levels in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment;
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning, and is committed to staff’s development;
- Has a sound analytical ability and good judgment;
- Has excellent internal consulting and facilitating skills, and has proven diplomatic, deal-making and influencing skills.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and balance priorities while working on a range of projects simultaneously;
- Ability to communicate confidently, clearly and persuasively;
- Proactively organises and manages performance, showing accountability and responsibility for own decisions and demonstrating a high degree of professionalism and integrity;
- Promote team work and cooperation;
- To show a strong interest in the work of the TAC and in the power and importance of grassroots activism (essential)
- Proven computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft software including MS Word processing, Power point presentation, Access, Excel spreadsheets, e-mail and web based research.
To learn more about the TAC, please visit our website at http://www.tac.org.za/
The closing date for applications is 16 October 2014.
Apply to HR@tac.org.za with a CV and cover letter.